This soup also freezes well so don't be shy to make a few batches!
And don't skimp on the ginger. In fact, add more. It fights those embarrassing, pea-linked gas issues.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
- 5 cups dried yellow split peas
- 15 cups cold water
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 10 to 15 teaspoons chicken (or vegetable) soup mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
- 2 to 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add one cup cubed ham for a heartier soup.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive or sunflower oil if fat is not a concern.
- Add one cup cubed potatoes for more bulk along with carrots, onions and spices.
- Add celery salt instead of salt.
- Add cayenne pepper for a spicier version of pea soup.