This soup also freezes well so don't be shy to make a few batches.
One last thing. Don't skimp on the ginger**. In fact, add more. It works wonders with those magical fruit issues.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
- 5 cups dried yellow split peas
- 15 cups cold water
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 10 to 15 teaspoons chicken (or vegetable) soup mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
- 2 to 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add one cup cubed ham for a heartier soup.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive or sunflower oil if fat is not a concern.
- Add one cup cubed potatoes for more bulk along with carrots, onions and spices.
- Add celery salt instead of salt.
- Add cayenne pepper for a spicier version of pea soup.
**The medical community notes mild to moderate safety concerns surrounding the ingestion of ginger in patients diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart conditions as well as with pregnant and lactating women.