1. Local

Evelyn Reid

One of Montreal's BEST Postal Workers, Fired by Canada Post

By December 20, 2012

See this gentleman?

His name is Sylvain Carbonneau. He's my postman. Or, as I found out reading this La Presse article, was my postman. The most personable, hands-on, cheerful postal worker I've ever had in charge of handling my mail was fired last month.

Why? According to his dismissal letter, he was let go over leaving a package in front of a lady's door, having signed it for her. And because a total of two local MP newsletters were missing in two mailboxes of his route. Five years of rave-worthy service? Not enough to mitigate two missing political newsletters. And one package, a package whose recipient even came forward to confirm that, yes, she agreed that he sign and leave packages in front of her door to avoid waking her baby by ringing the doorbell. Though, truth be told, he did sign off more than one package. La Presse's Rima Elkouri reports that Carbonneau committed the "offense" of signing and leaving a package in front of a recipient's door if he had explicit permission to do so and usually to help people out, like that mother and her baby or to save an elderly lady suffering from arthritis the inconvenience of walking to the post office.

I didn't even realize there was a petition circulating in the neighborhood urging the crown corporation to give Carbonneau his job back. Consider this post my signature.

This gentleman is the kind of person who doesn't just deliver the mail, he makes people's days. He made mine when I was getting overrun with mail under former residents' names. He rung my doorbell once, with a smile followed by copious laughing as he asked me if I lived with 20 other people. We looked through the names to see which ones were obviously recurring, and saving me the inconvenience of constantly writing "moved" on each envelope and wedging them conspicuously between my mailbox and the brick wall, the repeat offenders were immediately put on his brand new do-not-put-in-Evelyn's-mailbox list. No postal worker had ever bothered to do that for me before. And unsolicited. I can't believe I won't see him again, walking by with that tell-tale hop in his step, saluting everyone who'd look his way. And for the record, in over four years of him delivering my mail, he always got it right. I never lost a letter. Or bill. Certainly none of importance or that I'm aware of, and he never signed any of my packages for me without my permission. The issue never came up, in fact, and standard protocol was followed to the letter (no pun).

This is wrong, Canada Post. My neighborhood adores this man who, if anything, is one of the best ambassadors your brand could ask for.

Please give me this one Christmas gift. Please give Sylvain Carbonneau his job back.

4:50 p.m. UPDATE: an online petition was created today in response to Rima Elkouri's La Presse article on Sylvain Carbonneau's baffling dismissal. You can sign it here.

Comments

December 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm
(1) Hélčne says:

Close to 9,100 signatures as of 12:47! Keep ‘em coming!

December 23, 2012 at 7:55 am
(2) J. says:

Is there an English version of the petition?

December 29, 2012 at 6:08 pm
(3) Lori says:

If Canada Post would have done a thorough investigation… they would

have found that Sylvain… was doing his job… well. No complaints

from anyone… except the supervisor who is getting paid to drive around

and look for problems! They are wasting time and money going after

hard working decent people. You cant do anything for anyone these

days without negative consequences.

Time to revamp the system….

January 7, 2013 at 7:46 pm
(4) david williams says:

So now what? Canada Post seems not have reacted. Do we now drop Sylvain Carbonneau?

January 7, 2013 at 8:08 pm
(5) montreal says:

Hi David, there’s a Facebook group that’s keeping tabs on his case. You can join it here: https://www.facebook.com/ContreLeCongediementDeSylvainCarbonneau

__________________________________________________
Evelyn Reid
Guide to Montreal
About.com | Do more.

A former New York Times Company attracting nearly 100 million unique users on the About Group network every month, About.com is now part of the IAC family, which includes Newsweek/The Daily Beast, CollegeHumor, Vimeo and Match.com

March 26, 2013 at 11:46 am
(6) ex postal worker says:

This is absoutly obsered and saddens me to read this. Canada Post should be so lucky to have an employee that strived on customer service!!! and that should not be a crime! With all the modern day ways to get mail out to customers the corperation should reconize that this type of employee-customer relationship is what is gonna keep customers sending their mail the “old fashioned way” meaning by foot and not via e-mail or whatever which keeps them in business. Over the years working for canada post I have witenessed numerious offenders of actuall dismissal ofenses skate through the cracks unpunished and this however is not and I repeat not an offence. Canada post needs not be sooo ignorant to the staff that are commiting ACTUAL offences and be nothing but gratefull to this man and give him his job back asap. People think working for a goverment agency is the way to go and this screwed corperate mentality is yet another reason I am glad I left the company. All the best to you Sylvain.

March 29, 2013 at 12:39 am
(7) billige fodboldstřvler 2012 says:

I am glad I left the company. All the best to you Sylvain.

February 10, 2014 at 7:47 pm
(8) all in one kitchen says:

Howdy this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs
use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding expertise so
I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience.
Any help would be enormously appreciated!

Also visit my page <a href=”https://absorbingupset275.jux.com”>all in one kitchen</a>